A Balfour Beatty and Fluor Corporation joint venture (JV) has been awarded a $1.7bn contract by the Texas Department of Transportation (DoT) to complete Interstate 635 LBJ East project in the US state.

In the JV, Balfour Beatty has a 45% share, while Fluor owns the remaining 55% stake.

Under the contract, the JV will be responsible for the work including the reconstruction and widening of 11-miles of the interstate highway around the North and East of Dallas in Texas, including the I-30 interchange.

The contract also covers construction of service roads and various intersection improvements along the route.

Once complete, the interstate highway will feature a total of 12 lanes, widening the general-purpose lanes from eight to ten along with two reconstructed existing, tolled managed lanes.

In addition to improving safety, the project is expected to reduce congestion for more than 200,000 drivers who use the interstate every day.

Balfour Beatty Group CEO Leo Quinn said: “Following the successful delivery of the Dallas Horseshoe project, and the continued delivery of the Southern Gateway project, this latest contract award from the Texas Department of Transportation demonstrates our market-leading capabilities. Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

“With over half of Balfour Beatty’s construction revenue generated from our US operations, we continue to strengthen our business, benefiting from strong competitive positions in our chosen large and growing infrastructure markets.”

The complete contract award is likely to happen in after September. Works are expected to begin in early next year, and substantial completion is scheduled for late-2024.

At construction peak, the JV will employ approximately 500 people.