Hawaii Department of Transportation in the US has opened the $60m freeway, the second of the three phases of the ongoing North-South Road project.

The H-1 Freeway North-South Road interchange provides freeway on-and-off ramps to the northern-most segment of North-South Road, Phase 1C, connecting the H-1 Freeway to Farrington Highway.

The majority of work involved building two 160ft, single-span bridges and creating the required space for underpass lanes.

The construction costs were 80% funded by the federal government with the remaining 20% paid for by state highway funds.

Construction work has been carried out by Kiewit Pacific.

The $155m North-South Road project involves building a new four-lane highway to connect Kapolei Parkway, Farrington Highway and the H-1 Freeway. It is expected to open in early 2010.