The Indonesian Government has started construction on the first phase of the Cileunyi-Sumedang-Dawuan (Cisumdawu) toll project at a cost of IDR1.02trn ($106.38m).

The IDR5trn ($521.5m) 60.28km-long Cisumdawu toll road project is separated into six segments – Cileunyi-Rancakalong, Rancakalong-Sumedang, Sumedang-Cimalaka, Cimalaka-Legok, Legok-Ujunngjaya and Ujunjaya-Dawuan.

Expected to be completed in 2014, the first phase of the project is 6.3km-long and will connect Cileunyi and Rancakalong, reported The Jakarta Post.

Around 90% of the toll road project will be funded by a soft loan from the Export-Import Bank of China, with the remaining 10% through the state budget.

Public Works Ministry highway director general Djoko Murjanto was quoted by the publication as saying that the project, once completed, will help cut commute times between Bandung and Sumedang from two hours to 15 minutes.

"This project will also help connect Bandung with the planned Kertajati International Airport in the future," Murjanto noted.

"Around 90% of the toll road project will be funded by a soft loan from the Export-Import Bank of China."

The project was initially planned in 2005 although the contract was signed only in November 2011, and is part of the TransJava toll road venture.

A consortium of Chinese and Indonesian companies, including the Shanghai Construction, Wijaya Karya and Waskita Karya, will build all the sections of the toll project that will ease transportation of people and goods across Java.

In November 2012, Indonesia commenced another toll road venture backed by Chinese funds, connecting North Sumatra’s Medan and the Kuala Namu International Airport in Deli Serdang regency.

The ministry previously announced that four sections of the TransJava toll project are expected to be completed in 2013, including the first section of Mojokerto and Kertosono, the fourth phase of Surabaya and Mojokerto, the Bawean and Ungaran section, and the section of Tanjung Benoa-Ngurah Rai and Nusa Dua.