Traffic data collection and posting has been primarily a result of point A to point B systems utilizing labor and cost intensive sensors or static, locational devices such as Bluetooth.
Processing the data requires investing in Software usually located a central traffic control center, then activating manually to specific locations, generally in a five to ten minute window. In a 25 minute national average commute, does that not feel too long? By then it’s a piece of roadway history, hampering the commute into poor alternative route / planning decisions. In five minutes alone you could easily have three roadside incidents not recorded.
SES America has a data connect system seamless in delivering current travel time and alternative routing (one minute or less) for real-time decision making. These systems include the data packaged via a fusion method combining regional multiple route information that would include arterial and side road data. A total comprehensive evaluation and posting in a fifth of the time or more than conventional static device methods.
A solar powered DMS Connect system has the following benefits:
- Adjustable to different latitude and longitude travel time locations in a region, not a point A to point B route
- Entirely self contained with integrated solar power. Not grid reliant
- No software or traffic management center needed
- No long term maintenance or installation costs. One sensor fails the entire system is no longer accountable affecting overall accuracy
- Repostings every minute
- Exceptional opportunity for rural applications or weather sensitive areas lacking infrastructure
- No devices on roadways or shoulders
- No maintenance labor deployment
This systematic method of data accumulation and posting to DMS signs utilizes a big data fusion method of cell tower, GPS, and incident management information. Given its wide range of informational reach, factoring or extraneous events and traffic can’t be done on traditional point A to point B devices.
Ships crossing the ocean no longer rely on sextants to circumnavigate the oceans. It’s a semi accurate measurement device with limited use capabilities. Why take the same sextant-like approach with maintenance intensive devices offering limited scope, are vulnerable to damage and extended costs, and failure can endeavor unforced errors to traffic data. Time to move to using the highly accurate and impeccably reliable system available for data direct to DMS, DataConnect.