- Client: Fokida Local Authorities
- Contractor: Pyramis S.A
- Products used: Road mesh (Qt – 5,875m²)
- Date of construction: 1/2018 – 1/2018
Very often failures occur on the surface of the asphalt layers, such as reflective cracks due to cracks existing underneath (subbase), the alligator phenomena, rutting and in general pavement deformation due to lack of load-bearing capacity or to insufficient designing of the underlying layers (foundation, base and subbase). This was the case of the road near Delphi, where reflective cracking and alliagator phenomena occured.
As a solution to this problem, Maccaferri’s product Roadmesh was applied. It is very important to rehabilitate and reinforce the pavement of the highway after cracks appearance. The choice and application of Road Mesh® in order to reinforce the asphalt layer was the most appropriate one from a technical/cost point of view. Increase of bearing capacity resulted in reduction of maintenance works’ cost and frequency since the life span of the pavement was extended. Such results have been demonstrated through experimental data by ‘’smart road’’ applications.The above mentioned are due to the advantages of reinforcement with Road Mesh®:
- Reduction of deformations and cracks
- Reduction of crack initiation and propagation over the pavement
- Full adaption within the asphalt layer through interlocking the aggregates with the mesh
- Equal stress and load distribution to the subgrade
- Asphalt layer thickness reduction.