In the recent past Granor has designed and manufactured products for some on New Zealand’s major construction projects. Ranging from standard off the shelf laminated
bearings to highly customised lock up devices and large movement modular expansion joints.
SH20 Manukau Harbour Crossing Project
Scheduled for completion in early 2011 in time for the 2011 Rugby World Cup is the $230m upgrade to SH20 and duplication of the Mangere bridge over Manukau Harbour. Granor has designed and manufactured customised large laminated elastomeric bearings 750mm x 600mm x 337mm thick, pot bearings, custom structural bearings for the Beachcroft Avenue footbridge and custom shear key restraint bearings. Granor products supplied include:
- 16 custom size 750mm x 600mm x 337mm thick manufactured and tested in Australia
- 4 lateral restraint shear key bearings
- 8 free float pot bearings up to 6,300kN capacity
- 12 structural bearings up to 200kN capacity
NZ Transport Agency’s Harbour Link Project
The expansion to four lanes each way of local roads and the building of a duplicate bridge over Tauranga Harbour. Granor has supplied 21 large capacity highly customised seismic lock up devices for seismic control of the Chapel St Viaduct and the New Harbour Bridge. Also supplied were a range of large and small movement expansion joints including a large movement five seal modular expansion joint. Granor products supplied include:
- 21 custom seismic lock up devices up to 1750kN capacity
- 25 metres of five seal modular expansion joint
- 22 lateral restraint shear key bearings
- 36m of small movement Granor Stripseal AC-AR expansion joints
Forsyth Barr Stadium (Otago Stadium)
The new multi purpose stadium which is the second largest covered roof stadium in the southern hemisphere will feature in the 2011 rugby world cup. In careful consultation with SKM and the contractors Granor has designed and fabricated from a blank canvas special bearings to support the stadium’s unique roof truss.
To coincide with carefully timed construction phases on the project Granor needed to plan and execute a fast track production process to meet the contractor’s requirements. The special anti uplift guide slide pot bearings were manufactured and tested in house by Granor to Australian Standards. Granor products supplied include 30 custom anti uplift guide slide bearings up to 2000kN capacity and +/- 375mm movement.
East Taupo Arterial Project
The $97.4m, 16km highway includes four new bridges Waikato River Arch Bridge, Contact Energy Bridge and two grade separations at Centennial Drive and Broadlands Road.
Granor’s scope covered design advice, design and manufacturing of pot bearings, laminated bearings and expansion joints. Also included in the project are some seismic control lock up devices. As with all projects careful planning and consultation with the contractor was needed in order to meet the tight delivery requirements. Granor products supplied include:
- Four Seismic lock up devices up to 1000kN capacity
- Four special free float pot bearings up to 3,400kN capacity
- 58 laminated elastomeric bearings
- Four custom size 800mm x 800mm x 224mm thick laminated elastomeric bearings for the Waikato River Bridge
- 45m of small movement Granor stripseal AC-AR expansion joints