Massachusetts Department of Transport (MassDOT) in the US is planning to reconstruct the Kenneth F. Burns Memorial Bridge at a cost of $145m.

The bridge spans across Lake Quinsigamond and connects Shrewsbury to Worcester and is being replaced following a 2008 report from the MassDoT Highway Division, which said the bridge had deteriorated beyond repair and was structurally deficient, reports

Construction includes the building of a steel deck arch structure with five spans and will expand from two eastbound and westbound lanes to serve three lanes in both the directions.

The project also includes the building of bike lanes on both sides of the bridge, new pedestrian sidewalks and wider shoulders for emergency vehicles.

Bids for the project are expected to be invited to be received on 22 November 2011.

The US Federal Highway Administration will fund 80% of the project, while MassDOT will fund the remaining 20% from its 2008 Accelerated Bridge Program.