The National Roads and Highways Company of Romania (CNADNR) has awarded a €119m contract to Italian-German consortium Astaldi-Max Boegl to design and construct a section of the Cernavoda-Medgidia highway.

The contract involves the design and construction of a 21km section of the new Bucharest-Constanta motorway.

The Cernavoda Highway-Medgidia is part of Pan European Corridor IV running through Budapest, Sofia and Thessaliniki.
Work on the project is expected to start by the end of the year and be completed in 15 months.

The EU cohesion fund will contribute 85% of the cost while the Romanian Government will contribute the remaining 15%.