Kenya has begun construction of two bypasses in the capital city under a project worth Sh8.5bn (approximately $111m).

The two 70km Eastern and Northern bypasses will link Mombasa and Thika Roads and Waiyaki Way whilst bypassing the city centre.

85% of the project is funded through a loan from China and the remaining 15% by the Kenyan government.

The project is aimed at reducing congestion on the city’s roads and establishing the city as a regional hub.

Work is expected to be complete by 2012.